Monday, January 25, 2010

One of my favorite actors, Gabriel Byrne, spoke out recently about being sexually abused at age 11. Byrne, who so beautifully portrays therapist Paul Weston in HBO's "In Treatment," was an altar boy at the time of the abuse. One of the storylines from the first season of "In Treatment" involved the sexual abuse of a young girl, Sophie, who had become suicidal. Byrne's portrayal of the compassionate Weston was almost therapeutic for me as a survivor to watch, as he gave Sophie her safe place to fall so she could face her truths and begin to heal.
I know, for me, revealing my own story was a process and I held it close to the vest for a long time. Still today I understand that I owe no one anything regarding my story and sharing it is always my choice.
So, I say thank you to Gabriel for sharing his. He and other celebrities who speak out open a door for others, who may be fearful or ashamed, to realize that they did nothing wrong and that there is much support and love out there to be had.

1 comment:

  1. I too think the world of Gabriel. He has been a role model for me in a recent seperation, showing the way to remain civil for the sake of the children. It is hard to find good role models in that regard. So, it is not surprising to me that he is willing to share his story of abuse, and help others through their pain. I think he is very humble and doens't fully appreciate the impact he has on others.

    ReplyDelete